SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Anyone here feel like a loser if they weren't partying on weekends? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/215354-anyone-here-feel-like-loser-if-they-werent-partying-weekends.html)

goldengirl3 12-13-2010 06:00 AM

Anyone here feel like a loser if they weren't partying on weekends?

I'm asking because I think it's a mentality I've had that needs to be shot down.

Years ago I didn't think that way. I started dating this guy and we were coming home from dinner on a Saturday night and he said, "Look at all these people about to go out. It's only 9 PM and we are going home. We are losers." And I thought, "Good God grow up. How immature."

Years later and getting drunk everyday without a break...I felt the same way. Especially on the weekends.

When I decided to sober up, I had this realization that I was thinking that way. I don't know how it started. Was it me...was it from being around him...was it being around his partying friends...or other partiers? I don't know. But I realized that that needed to change. I've been feeling pretty good. I stay in every weekend and do things for myself that I like. I've really been enjoying and it's calm and great.

Except over the weekend there was a Christmas party downtown where everyone dresses like a Christmas character and barhops. Last year I went and got blasted and blacked out. I lay in bed Saturday night remembering it was going on and thought, "Oh man! I'm missing it! I'm a loser."

Anyone else ever have that mentality??

CarolD 12-13-2010 06:11 AM

Losers don't find their way into recovery...:no:
Winning over alcohol is difficult and you are a winner!

My AA homegroup is hosting parties over the holidays
I suggest you find one in your area and begin meeting us

UniqueNewYork 12-13-2010 06:33 AM

The irony of your post goldengirl3 is that I had a convo with my gf recently from the opposite point of view that went like this: "Wow its only 9 o clock on a Saturday and we're at home getting ready for bed". Her: "Do you want to do out somewhere baby?" Me: "no, why are we going to go to some club, waste money on drinks and whatnot, just to stand around trying to socialize and talk over loud music for 3 hours. That doesn't do it for me anymore Ive done that so many times."

suki44883 12-13-2010 06:54 AM

No, I never feel that way. In fact, when I'm laying all comfy and cozy in my bed at night and hear an ambulance somewhere, I feel so secure in the knowledge that I'm not out there in all that chaos anymore.

tooling 12-13-2010 06:55 AM

I was like you. Before I drank a lot I would be home on the weekends and was perfectly happy staying home on new years eve.

When I began drinking I wanted to go to the bars and be social and look for females.

But now since I stopped drinking for 4 months I am in the way of life I lived before I drank again.

I believe alcohol is the common denominator here. Drinkers want to be around other drinkers, to share stories, feel like they're part of a movement, and to meet other drunks.

I want nothing to do with drinkers anymore. When I look for a women now, which I really need to start, she will be a non-drinker. There is no way i want to be involved in a drinkers life anymore ever.

goldengirl3 12-13-2010 07:05 AM

I was like you. Before I drank a lot I would be home on the weekends and was perfectly happy staying home on new years eve.

When I began drinking I wanted to go to the bars and be social and look for females.

But now since I stopped drinking for 4 months I am in the way of life I lived before I drank again.

I believe alcohol is the common denominator here. Drinkers want to be around other drinkers, to share stories, feel like they're part of a movement, and to meet other drunks.

I want nothing to do with drinkers anymore. When I look for a women now, which I really need to start, she will be a non-drinker. There is no way i want to be involved in a drinkers life anymore ever.
Exactly. I don't want to be back at that place again. I feel this pull and I hate it. And like you...I've been living like I used to before I got really into drinking.

It scares me that I have these thoughts.

todd6138 12-13-2010 07:30 AM

Time takes time. the longer you stay in recovery, the better it gets. Just don't give up before the miracle happens and stick with the winners in recovery. Pray a lot to your higher power and stay connected with God. It has taken me years of failure in this program to get to a place of serenity so no matter what happens next, you are always welcome In AA!

LaFemme 12-13-2010 07:54 AM

I was the total party girl in college and my 20's. I would work a 10 + hour day, go out to 2:00 am and get up the next morning and do it all over again. At the end of my drinking I wouldn't go out because I had started my pre-party too early and could not leave the house.

This past weekend I went to a Christmas party...I drank my tonic water and met interesting people and had a great time...I went home at a respectable hour and my only regret about leaving at 11:30 is that I didn't stay long enough to hear the hostess sing (she is a soprano at the met and usually sings at the end of the party).

I feel like I have a great balance in life now...I can go out and have a good time without worrying about drinking...its such a relief! In fact

LaFemme 12-13-2010 07:55 AM

I was the total party girl in college and my 20's. I would work a 10 + hour day, go out to 2:00 am and get up the next morning and do it all over again. At the end of my drinking I wouldn't go out because I had started my pre-party too early and could not leave the house.

This past weekend I went to a Christmas party...I drank my tonic water and met interesting people and had a great time...I went home at a respectable hour and my only regret about leaving at 11:30 is that I didn't stay long enough to hear the hostess sing (she is a soprano at the met and usually sings at the end of the party).

I feel like I have a great balance in life now...I can go out and have a good time without worrying about drinking...its such a relief! In fact its such a relief that I actually freaked out a little about it...talk about silliness:-)

least 12-13-2010 07:58 AM

I don't feel like a loser in any way. All I have to do is read the 'jail log' in our newspaper to see who got a DUI over the weekend... and be glad it wasn't me.:)

goldengirl3 12-13-2010 08:05 AM

I think some of you are misunderstanding my question.

I'm asking about feeling that way contributing to your drinking when you were drinking.

Draciack 12-13-2010 08:06 AM

In the first few months of recovery, I felt the same way and it took me awhile to realize there were things about the party scene that I missed - constant socializing, sense of excitement, music, etc. Legitimately missed. It wasn't really about drinking.

So, I found those things in other places. I'm glad too because those things are real now, not phantoms given shape due to alcohol.

You're definitely no loser :) It's an issue a lot of us face.

reggiewayne 12-13-2010 08:35 AM

I always like driving by bar's early in the morning and seeing all of the cars still parked there and think, I'm sure my night was better than thier's. Not to mention the folks that picked up DUI's driving home from said bar. We all search for acceptance and friends and we've all been fed this image of groups of friends in the bars, arms over each other, girls giggling, guys telling stories, etc... All of that can be done without booze and earlier than 2am....

ItsMe23 12-13-2010 08:43 AM

I know the feeling you speak of, like all your friends are out and you are at home.

I just have learned to deal with it, and its not really my scene anyway.

NEOMARXIST 12-13-2010 09:03 AM

I can relate to what you're saying. I wouldn;t say 'loser' is the right term to use as that would fit how I used to feel staggering around coming out of blackout walking down some random street after a Saturday night out. Also I felt like a loser when I was round the off-license at 7.00am Sunday morning buying super strength.

However other words may fit what you're saying and to be honest I think this is one of the main reasons that certainly you don' see many young people with any longterm sobriety in AA. There may be in USA I don't know but certainly not in the cities and towns that i go to meetings at in England.

There is no two ways about it then getting sober means a total acceptance of a total change of life, social circle, recreation, expectations of nights out, holidays etc. I can't see how realistically the first wouldn' be taken if the old life was lived.

At the end of the day though, what is the alternative? Go out at 9pm on Saturday night and drink to blackout and deal with all of the mental consequences and the drinking the following morning and day etcetc.

recovery and sobriety has to be a way of life for me and with this comes acceptance of where and where I shouldn't be hanging out at and who I should be hanging out with. It ain't easy in this respect which i why i guess so many just go back again. Also for me I know that i used alcohol to give me more confidence etc and also it gave the night added anticipation as I'm a real muso and found booze and drugs to enhance the music, lighting, social feeling etcetc.

it is what it is though and you can;t have it both ways.

All The Best

BullDog777 12-13-2010 09:32 AM

in all honesty, i'm an adult. i shouldn't be bar hopping anyway. i shouldn't be partying at all. i should be working on myself and earning a living, contributing to society in some way.

every friday night i see all the posts with people relapsing in to monday morning thinking they had the best of intensions and now their back to square one. every week i count the threads...back to day 1..i can't understand what happend...blah blah blah....

the way i look at things...i forefeited my right to drink years ago. all those days of instant gratification and being selfish has to be over for me to have any real future.

LetsGoJets 12-13-2010 11:21 AM

1. the "party" ended a really long time before my drinking did (bythe end of my drinking i was on 5 or 6 day runs locked alone in my room leaving only to get more or use the bathroom-- a lot of "fun, right?)

2. the insanity i suffered from wasnt what happened when i drank-- it was thinking it would be like it was years ago when it was a party, despite overwhelming evidence that it hadnt been that way for a long time....and then buying the lie and taking the drink

3. at 28 yrs old i am really enjoying being in bed by 1 the latest on weekends and being up and about and packing into the stream of life. I take care of myself now, i exercise, i sleep right, i try to eat right-- all a far cry from the "good old days."

this is such a better way of life it cant even be put into words-- and no i dont miss the partying at all

flutter 12-13-2010 11:42 AM

No way, I don't feel that way.

With sobriety, and more importantly, recovery.. has come a whole new life for me.

I find pleasure in things I never did. I can sit with myself contently. I enjoy my friends and family in a very pure, and honest way now.

I haven't seen so many sunrises in my life, until now.. things really can be beautiful in recovery. I think it's about finding a 'new happy', which takes time, work.. patience.

DayTrader 12-13-2010 11:49 AM

Golden--

If you identified yourself.....aka "found your identity" in being a partier, than that's a part of your life that'll be hard to give up. See, when we get sober we're giving up FAR MORE than just alcohol/drugs.

For many, this piece is the fatal blow to their dry time. Giving up the old life when you have doubts about the new one can be that last straw to break the camel's back.

If you're able, just put those thoughts out of your mind, redirect your ego and change your lifestyle.

I wasn't able..... I didn't have the power to do it. AA taught me where to go and how to go for the power though. If you find yourself in the same boat, it may be worth looking into.

Dee74 12-13-2010 12:26 PM

I felt that way for a long time - so I never stopped. It's a miracle I never killed myself.

I don't know about anyone else but I was scared of a lot of things - about change, about having to grow up, about never having fun again....

looking back now, I also realise I liked the access to booze, and the social sanction ('permission') to drink it to excess, way more than I liked the partying, if I honest.

I still have fun, I really love the way my life changed, and I really like 'acting my age' - a 40 yo party boy is kinda, well....lame IMO.

D