SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   How much money did you spend a week on alcohol? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/184155-how-much-money-did-you-spend-week-alcohol.html)

barb dwyer 10-25-2009 02:21 PM

how much money did you spend per week on alcohol?
all of it.

Asta1 10-25-2009 02:30 PM

Too much everything however you count it.

I usually spent about $20-25 a week so about $100 per month. I never went out drinking. I was a "closet" drinker most of the time, although I wasn't fooling anyone I'm sure. It cost me other things, like self esteem, etc. Wonder how to put a $ figure on that?

mirage 10-25-2009 03:19 PM

Mine was spent on beer at home. BUT... add in there cigs, (a ton when I drank), and the Duraflame log and bundle of wood from 7-11 (so I could smoke in front of the fire and not have to go outside..I know, gosh forbid I build my own fire)...total is around $110.00 a week? That's a lot considering I was at home drinkin Mich Ultra.

stone 10-25-2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by barb dwyer (Post 2410559)
all of it.

Uh - huh.

I have a distorted view of money now, I go real tight and then think, "hang on, that watch is only like two bottles of vodka and I would spend that in two days", to wanting to spend lots of money to congratulate myself for being sober, then going tight again.

spen71 10-25-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:
how much money did you spend per week on alcohol?
all of it.
___

Same as me.

2ndGen 10-25-2009 04:00 PM

Whilie married: $4 on beer every other day, $15 extra to make reason to go to the store, bottle of wine every once in a while, I'd say $100 a week.

Divorced: 2 bottles a day of double IPA $10 each, bottle of cheap wine every other day $10, some extra beer just in case $8 a day, eating out twice a week with sake or whatever they have $14, something more fancy on occasion couple times a month $30. Buying dinner for another party to pretend normal $50 a week. Deli in a store to accompany beer purchase $15 a day. Adds up to $1,200 a month or so.

CarolD 10-25-2009 06:22 PM

2ndGen....:wave:
Welcome to SR amd our Alcoholism Forum

FourtyQ 10-26-2009 10:35 PM

Wow, this made me think.

I drank mostly 40's but i would buy a big bottle of sangria once a month. I drank probably 4 40's a day add on a few beers to that...and the multiple summons for open containers(i adored the park when i drank for some reason). Add to that going to the bar.

I really have no idea how much I really spent/lost. All i know is at the beginning of the month i'd have $400 to spend and I was usually out of money by the middle of the month and be scrounging around for quarters to buy beer with.

I just realized how much of a sight i must have looked at 5am at the deli buying a 40 with quarters...

Texasblind 10-28-2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by tiburon88 (Post 2409567)
$55,000 dollars a week more or else.

tiburon :)

All I can say is... Say What???

Texasblind 10-28-2009 12:55 PM

beaglenut 10-28-2009 12:55 PM

way too much

Thirty dollars every two days for 4 litres of disgusting cheap wine. So two hundred and fifty a month.

Sick,sick, sick.

caleb76 10-29-2009 10:42 AM

I was spending about $100.00 per week, $400.00 per month, and over $4000 per year.

brixkwall 10-30-2009 07:01 PM

Anywhere between £60 and £120. Frightning.

087never 11-22-2009 05:33 PM

For me the amount varied enourmously, and quitting was just the difference between being in control or out of it financially. Its all consuming, in that if I have a little, all that money goes towards alcohol, and if I have cash saved up, and begin drinking, it just goes. The real costs though are hidden. Impulsive spending or buying things as a desperate attempt to overcompensate for the inadequacy of my life. Poor choices, particularily moving from place to place, done in a haze of hangovers, drunkeness and disorganisation. One time I stayed in a hotel for over two weeks because I couldnt get my **** together to find an apartment, ordering up bottles of wine on room service, struggling to hold down a plate of chips at the hard rock cafe for breakfast. My whole life felt like a bad dream, and yet here I was only 25 on the gold coast of australia, where I should have been really enjoying myself. I had planned to buy a nissan skyline twinturbo, which never materialised, I just never sobered up, with the exception of maybe one night sleeping in a basement that smelt of ****. As soon as I'd wired myself more money, I was straight back into the five star hotel, drinking myself into a stupor. One night I couldnt get through to my own mobile so in a rage tore the phone out of the wall and hurled it off the balcony. I'll never, ever forget the state I was in leaving surfers paradise, lying on the floor of the bathroom, retching into the toilet bowl, waiting for my cab to the airport thinking "******* hell can I even do this ****?" as I prepared to undergo the 28 hour flight back to Ireland. Thousands and thousands of dollars that could have been spent on better things. A year later I was running around second hand stores trying to pawn dvds to buy 10 smokes.

Alcohol is like a black hole that just sucks all your money away

hkw 11-22-2009 05:55 PM

The amount I am spending is crazy. $20 a day on average on booze alone. I travel a couple days a week and began bringing my own booze to the hotel because the $8 glass of wine or $7 Vodka and Tonic would easily turn into $50.

But its not just the booze, its "the other stuff". For instance, I ordered in $40 in food over the weekend because I was too drunk to drive. I could have easily fed myself on half that if I simply went to the grocery store.

I'd say $500 per month on booze and $300 a month of booze related activities/stuff I would not do or buy sober. So $800 month and I am being conservative, it might be higher.

akazia21 11-22-2009 08:26 PM

hmmmm well at my worst in NYC when I had a high paying job as a promoter....easy 100 and up every night-we had to get bottles at the clubs to look like big shots...also used my credit cards (very high limits) to get cash advances for coke. Is it any wonder I have just now almost paid off that debt, not to mention I left NY as broke as when I arrived and in debt.
After I moved back to CO and after my seperation, I was buying 750ml bottles of rum every day so about $100 a week, and since June I was spending $30 a week on wine-3 bottles of cheapish wine drank on the weekend, one a day fri sat and sun.
Not to mention the cost of 3 DUIs in 7, sorry 5 years, probably around 20,000 (classes, fines, etc) and still paying 75 a month for the interlock until august 2011 so my alcohol costs are still goin after I have stopped drinking LOL. Interlock alone is 4800 by the time I finish that. Finally being sober? Priceless

TheMaster 11-23-2009 04:56 AM

I was cheap.

$17 a week for 2 5ths of scotch on the weekend.

Although I sometimes had a bad habit of ordering stuff online while drinking...

Pboy 11-24-2009 07:04 PM

So I was the only one who suffered from the "Donald Trump" complex and wanted to buy the entire bar several rounds when inebriated?

SoberDragon 11-28-2009 04:51 AM

What ever I spent was never enough !

Taking5 11-28-2009 02:31 PM

Well, only drank hard liquor, only at bars, and only top shelf stuff (this alcoholic was too important to drink beer, or cheap whiskey). I literally spent $2500 a month in my alcoholic prime.

I should already have my house paid off.