SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I slipped, feel so ashamed (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/179358-i-slipped-feel-so-ashamed.html)

ClayTheScribe 06-27-2009 07:30 PM

I slipped, feel so ashamed

I went to a housewarming party of a friend and had a few beers. I had drank earlier on Tuesday. Then I went home today and drank some schnapps, now I feel like crap, of course. I feel so stupid and so ashamed. I'm afraid it's going to get so bad I have to go into treatment which I can not afford.

I'm so terrible at forgiving myself. It's times like these I want to end it all (but I can't)

suki44883 06-27-2009 07:43 PM

Lots of us had false starts, so no need to beat yourself up over that. You came here and posted and that's great. You can begin again. It's not easy, as you know. It takes solid determination to not pick up. You can do it! (((HUGS)))

baggervance 06-27-2009 07:46 PM

Clay,
I struggled for many years I would swear this was the last time and always drank agin. I really wanted to quit I was dependent on alcohol it was a living hell. I decided I would just drank myself to death and almost did. I got sober thru AA but there are many ways to get sober. Just dont give up keep looking for your way.

kj3880 06-27-2009 07:54 PM

Just stopping by to say that NA and AA work for me, and that they are totally free! And that they gave me total freedom!

Love,
KJ

facing2day 06-27-2009 07:57 PM

Everyday is a new day, a new start! Chip up and move on. Don't beat yourself up about the past.:ghug

MycoolFitz 06-27-2009 08:09 PM

Well, my friend, 83 daze ago I was drunk and trying to figure out how to kill myself and make it look like an accident so the family could collect insurance. I was too wasted so the core of me, lying in wait for 45 years of drinking took over and called for help. 21 daze psych and detox/treatment. I can't afford it either, but at least I'm alive and sober to worry about it. Things have a way of working out in life if you're present to work them out.

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change so that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger but in wisdom, understanding and love.-- Jennifer Edwards

My best to you. I am glad to be alive and sober to read your post. Namaste (I bow to you)

CarolD 06-27-2009 09:35 PM

Hi Clay....

USA NATIONAL Suicide & Crisis Hotlines - When You Feel You Can't Go On... Call a Suicide Hotline. / SuicideHotlines.com - Direction for immediate crisis intervention for the gravely suicidal & treatment for major clinical suicidal depression.

You can also contact the Salvation Army for free
de tox and treatment centers.
ER doctors usually know how to sfely de tox
Asking your doctor for advice is a good idea too.

I too retuned to drinking after my decision to stop.
Took me 4 years and a lot of AA before I quit.

National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service available at
1-800-662-HELP
This service can provide you with information about treatment programs in your local community and allow you to speak with someone about alcohol problems

You too can move forward....:yup:
Never give up on yourself.

Prayers for healing coming your way

mistycshore 06-27-2009 10:03 PM

Maybe things would get better if you got better at forgiving yourself.

I'm no expert. It's just a thought.

Lenina 06-27-2009 10:06 PM

Clay,

Just wanted to add my support. I also had many, many false starts. I also had total relapse after eleven sober years. I've got almost 18 months now. I've learned a lot, I'm a better person in so many ways. Keep taking it easy and keep on it. It's worth it.

Love,

Lenina

chip 06-27-2009 11:03 PM

Hi Clay,
I just want to chime in here and give you some support. It's not uncommon to have some set backs. It is important to keep trying.

Most people on this forum have very similar experiences. Please don't give up on yourself. You are not alone. In early recovery, many of us find these experiences are valuable learing opportuinites. These things hurt, but pain can be a great motivator.

Alcoholism is a disease. You are suffering from a disease, and you are not a bad person. Now that you know your weakness, what can you do to prevent slips from happening in the future? What did you learn from this experience?

Only you can answer this quesiton: Are you an alcoholic? If you are, then you can be sure that there is hope. This might sound weird, but acceptance seems to be the first step in most recovery programs. Once a person accepts powerlessness, he/she might be able to move forward into recovery.

For me, once I hit my "bottom", the true nature of my malady became apparent to me. It was then that I became willing to change. Fear and pain drove me to my knees. Once I accepted the fact that I cannot drink like a normal person, and alcohol is poison to me....I became willing to change. What did I have to change to get and stay sober? Everything. I had to change everything.

Change can be good. If it's time for a change in your life, we are here to support you. If not, keep coming back. We are here to support you through your stuggle.

I hope you can find some strength and hope today.
chip

Dee74 06-27-2009 11:12 PM

I can only say me too to so many posts on this thread.
I would try weekly to stop drinking and I would 'fail' for years.

and inevitably the guilt and shame and recrimination and self hatred would lead me back to the bottle harder and harder each time.

I broke the cycle by being proactive.

Look at all your options for treatment - even the ones that you don't think you could ever do right now...and start from that list as a starting point...

You can do this Clay. We all did. :)
D

Taking5 06-28-2009 12:32 AM

Clay,

A lot of us have had false starts, what is important is what do you do the next day. Do you hop back on the wagon and try to build on the recovery you already have? Or do you drink again the next day, and the day after, etc?

I did the later several times, and I don't want to live like that anymore. You don't have to either.

tommyk 06-28-2009 06:10 AM

Get back up, re-think your decisions to stop drinking in the first place.

Why was it, or is it, that you desire to stop drinking?

Lastly - and importantly - you didn't slip on anything - you very willingly, consciously and knowing made a choice to drink, it was no accident. ;)

Accept responsibility for your actions. Honesty, Openmindedness, and Willingness.

Bamboozle 06-28-2009 07:13 AM

Hello, Clay.

I know that when I used to dwell on how bad I felt after relapsing...the bad feelings gave me an excuse to drink...so I would drink....again....and again....

This may be hard, but don't even think about the forgiveness part. You know what happened this last time and the effect it had...so add this experience to you list of triggers to avoid.

I've relapsed so many times in the last year. The last one really scared me...I didn't think I'd make it out. For me, it has become progressively harder to quit each relapse.

Stick close to your supports. Sometimes I'll stay on SR for hours at a time just to stay sober and sane.

jmart 06-28-2009 07:59 AM

HI Clay, I have quit and gone back many times. usually after i start feeling good and things start to go my way again.. Yes that is insanity. Reading,AA,and fellowship with sober people helps me..

Amazonqueen522 06-28-2009 08:07 AM

:whisper get up and start with today! it will be the beginning of all your tomorrow,:c033:

ClayTheScribe 07-08-2009 10:10 AM

I've been 11 days sober and have just let the urges to drink pass, as they are passing events of the mind. I feel good.

Twinpairs 07-12-2009 07:11 AM

Keep coming back! That's what I did. Eventually the miracle happened.

sfields 07-13-2009 11:15 PM

Feel glad you admitted it, just get back int the wagon and carry on nor ventured ,alot learned.