Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
equus

Originally Posted by Don S
I actually know very little about those conditions. I have no direct experience with them (unlike alcohol!), and have certainly not done any reading about them.
I assume that anorexia is mostly behavioral. I always thought Asperger's was similar to autism, and not very well understood.
So any answer I give to your question would really just reflect the terms as I first heard them stated by someone I considered sufficiently authoritative at the time: anorexia disorder, manic disorder, Asperger's syndrome.
I assume that all can cause medical problems, but don't know if I'd call any of them diseases.
Don, it's never been your understanding of alcohol addiction that I've questioned - rather your understand of what makes something a disease.

If you are trying to learn what is or isn't a dog it's the things that different types of dogs have in common that matter not the study of a single breed. While looking closely at the attributes of a chihauhau and comparing it to a mental image of a old english sheep dog one might quite rightly argue they are not the same. Why are they grouped together? What makes them both dogs? What would make it NOT a dog?

I assume that anorexia is mostly behavioral.
And may also be disease/medical....

It's in the understanding of disease, diagnostics and medicine that the confusions have arisen.

It's easy to suggest that this is nit picking - but no way, to be happy with inaccuracy doesn't help understanding, and to reproduce it doesn't help in sharing understanding.

The above 'conditions' are worth a look to anyone wishing to understand the relationship between brain, mind and free will. Another disorder which should fascinate anyone wishing to understand behaviour in a clinical way is prader willie syndrome (sp??).

Understanding the shape of a chihauhau while guessing at what makes a dog a dog means that the 'dogness' of a chihauhau becomes irrelevant and unusable.

Have a look at some of the other disorders, there's no mind without brain and our brains are just body organs unfortunately in no way sacred or protected.

Or just ignore me rambling.....