Thread: Why not AA?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
michaelj
Michael

Doodlebug,
First of all well done on 78 days sobriety. That is a massive achievment and clearly indicates to me that whatever you are doing to stay sober is working for you. I am sober now and I have been for 18 months to the day. I started my path to sobriety by attending AA. I knew of no other way and I persisted for about six to eight weeks. I am grateful for the kick start they gave me but I found that AA was not for me for a number of reasons.
First and foremost I am an atheist and could not reconcile my "beliefs" to the quasi-religiosity of AA. Secondly I could not allow myself to shift my responsibilities by espousing powerlessness. I got to be a drunk and I needed to get myself sober.
This is my first post here in afew weeks as I find sobriety sits more comfortably with me now. I am as it were a free agent. I have no dues to pay to any organisation and I am happy and content with that.
That said I realise and accept that there are people who need greater or lesser support than I do. Whatever works to keep you sober is OK by me.

Michael

PS to CarolD,
Was there any need to warn posters about respectfulness? If a debate is being followed with honesty and integrity there is surely no need for a warning. I absolutely support your right to delete/.remove offensive replies but if there haven't been any then reading the riot act may be seen to be heavy handed.