Thread: Why not AA?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Erin

I have a therapist, a big family, and friends as support. I am willing to explore AA. However I also have my own religion and am highly skeptical of using God as God to me is a pretty personal thing (I don't discuss my religious stuff with people unless it's sharing that's all).

I don't like the powerless stuff. I think if I believed I was powerless then I wouldn't have been able to get to Day 21 (not that far but still...) Especially when the voice is going off in my head after work. Being powerless would be going to the liquor store on the way home instead of fighting it.

Plus I've never been a follower of any kind - I was taught to questions things so I'm not sure the whole following a book like a bible would work.

Also my therapist has told me that for some people AA replaces drinking sometimes for them. I don't want a replacement for drinking. I also am not just an alcoholic - I am a friend, photographer, climber, runner, daughter, manager etc.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not putting down AA. If it works for some people it works.