Thread: Why not AA?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
c'est la vie

I hope you don't mind me answering even though I have attended AA. I like the fact that there are other people with whom I can talk openly (I can't entirely with my husband because he doesn't "get it", and there isn't always someone here online when I REALLY need to talk). It feels good to get some things out of my head.

Aside from that I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of AA. I might stick with it for a while just to give it a fair shot, but the reasons that I hesitate to jump in full force are these:

I fear pulling all of these emotions to the surface through the steps and not having someone with professional experience to guide me (I could be proven that personal experience is better than professional)

I feel that many people join AA in order to make new friends who are sober, to have outlets for extra time in their lives that was taken up by benders etc., or to have a feeling of purpose in life. I have friends, I don't have lots of extra time, and I am working with several different groups at the school and volunteering at the library in order to feel useful.

I am intimidated, and even annoyed sometimes, with the rigid beliefs of some people who are staunch believers that AA is the best or only way to achieve happy, secure sobriety. I believe that I know myself better than anyone following all the rules and I know if my interpretation is working for me, and I really don't like being told that something that seems so benign is going to ruin my sobriety (following a rule instead of gut instinct).

I feel like my time would be better spent touring museums, taking a language class, or joining a writers group in order to feel like I'm finally taking advantage of being a stay-at-home mom. This would get me out of the house, put me in contact with people, work my mind - all the things that I haven't done much lately - AND boost my self esteem because I'm doing something special for ME.

Thank you for starting this thread. This was a fun exercise for me and I hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm sure my reasons can be turned on their head as proof that my sobriety is not very strong (it's not, I've only got 1 month).