Thread: Why not AA?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mongo

Hi Db

I've been in recovery for several years now. I've read everything I could find and tried every recovery method.. except AA

I have nothing against AA. I have read their methods and incorporate some of them into my own plan. It seems to help a lot of people. The face to face meetings appeal to me, I think peer support is very helpful. I had an uncle who everyone thought was a hopeless drunk, but he joined AA, turned his life around, and lived happily for over 23 years. I like coffee.

I may still try attending a few meetings for that peer support.

On the other hand, many people become sober without AA, or any recovery program. I think its most important to accept in your own mind that we have a problem and must not use.

I think that the biggest problem I have with AA is admitting powerlessness. This may work for some people, but for me, I feel that I'm responsible for myself, no one else. I have managed to put some long abstinence periods together and this is the evidence for me that I can do it. Everything in my life has been a direct result of my personal choices, and I see no reason why that should change.

You have 78 days, congratulations. Seems to me you have found what works for you and you can see the results. I think that continuing this, while still being open to deal with any new circumstances that come up will serve you well.

Keep well

Mongo