View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 05:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
brigid
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I love my life now, it is not always great, but I love that I am living life on life's terms and that I do not have to deal with the hangovers or the blackouts or any of the lost days. My health keeps on improving, my outlook on life keeps getting better, I keep finding more of who I am all the time. I am now growing and maturing rather than stagnating and festering.

Quite frankly I see daylight and sunshine where I felt I was in the dark before, trying to scrape life together somehow, letting things slip, not fulfilling my destiny (so to speak). Alcohol took so much from me that I really can't envisage it in my life ever again. I had it in my family as a child and I have had it take people away from me and I have experienced its effects on myself - yukk!!

To come here and share is to remember when I may forget. To see such enthusiasm and ernestness in newcomers is quite frankly uplifting. To see newcomers not get to sobriety straight away is to be expected. This is not an easy thing to do, I tried many times and I know that I need to work on staying sober in different ways as I go through my life. It actually helps to see the successes and failures, it all reinforces the lessons that I have learned, I don't want to forget them.

More strength to you!!! I worked on changing my thinking about alcohol and looking for the negatives to drinking, rather than thinking that it was "fun". I also prayed for help, talked about it heaps and eventually accepted that alcohol controlled me, I could never control it. I was ok in just about every way - just don't add alcohol and then the rest would work itself out over time.

lots of love,
Brigid