Thread: Struggling
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 06:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
kali ma

Originally Posted by mertyl
wish that when i announced to my friends at 21 years ols that i was going to aa and had a problem, they would have been supportive, instead of saying it was ok. I was still young. I didnt have a problem. because there are many days now that feel the same way.
EXACTLY!! When I was in college, I would try time and time again to quit for a few days, and sure enough, we would end up going to the bar, or opening a big bottle of red wine. "You're still in college...you SHOULD be drinking," is what they would say. I knew I had a problem then. On one hand, I am glad that it ONLY took me until I was 25 to realize how HUGE of a problem it was/is, but on the other, I am destraught that I lost 10 years drinking way too much, and driving myself into a deep depression which lasted for years.

Anna,
Drinking: A Love Story was the last book I read before I quit drinking, and it was the first one I read when I stopped. My psychologist gave it to me, and it truly was my story...the overachiever, the functioning alcoholic, that everyone thought would be the last person to have a problem...until I told my family finally (last week) that towards the end, I was blacking out almost every night, and feeling so depressed and angry that I didn't think that there was a way out. I was the magna *** laude student, and the good daughter. Anyway, sorry for rambling. You're right, Anna. I have been saying for a couple of weeks that I was going to start going to AA. This may have been the straw.