View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
aasharon90

Hi Jerry This is Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

You know what I love the most about recovery? I meet people whose names remind me of someone else. Like you Jerry. I have a brother name Jerry and you are my first recovery friend here named Jerry. I dont recall an AA buddy back home named Jerry, so ur # 1. : )

I went to many meetings in early recovery and just listened. I related to everyone there. But u know what....and its my fault...i never allowed others to get to know me personally because i would run in to the meeting...hide out..then run out emmediately when it was over.

Dont look at me, dont talk to me ..u didnt see me.

And this went on for yrs and I always wondered why no one liked me.

It wasnt their fault but mine because i was too selfish or too self absorbed...self-centered. It was all about me back then.

I did begin to bake things and bring them to my meetings and this slowed me down a bit to allow others to say thank u. And they appreciated it.

Then as i was just about to FIT IN at 6 yrs sober we moved here to houston from Baton Rouge.

How dare we do that....lol It was a miracle move to allow our 2 kids to get a better education and open more doors of opportunity for them. that has been a HUGE plus.

Me...im still sober, but i have NOT connected to AA here in Houston like i did back home. I have however connected in here at SR. with u folks. For u guys im very greatful.

Jerry....don't give up. Bring the body and the mind will follow. U can expect others to open up to u if u dont do that to them. Start out small with smaller friendships and once u begin to feel trust then u can add on to more.

Hey Jerry, I need a NEW RECOVERY FRIEND. Will u be my friend? : )

Thanks for letting me share.