Thread: Struggling
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety1st

Ok, I am going to take a shot here, and PLEASE, if i am out of line, feel free to let me know..****, you are doing wonderful..those feelings of cravings are awful..i was stuck in my home for 2 weeks before i finally called AA and got myself to a meeting..i couldn't be a prisoner in my own home..i cried, i wanted to drink so bad, and i was a once a week drinker..but oh, how i thought that was the best day of the week, looked forward to it, but the rest of the week, icky..i spent Tues. laying around because i was tired, i spent Wed. & Thurs. & and Friday beating the heck out of myself because i hated the shame and guilt of what i had done on Monday, and my husband was home on Saturday and Sunday, so it was impossible to drink (he is a recovering alcoholic of 17 yrs)..i hid my drinking..but my Sunday was spent with constant thought of how i was going to get to drink the next day..now that i look back at that..wow, what an awful way to live...3 yrs. ago i tried to quit drinking and found that i was powerless, i couldn't, no matter what i knew would come afterwards..so, i went to my dr..and told all..well, he prescribed me a medication, Naltrexone..or Revia..and what that does is takes your "cravings" away..in the BB they say the you have the cravings once you put it in your body, so it must be the mental part that this medication helps you with, so i took that, and for 3 months, i was sober, not even one desire..but, i did not go to AA, and i worked no program, all i did was put the bottle down, then i quit taking the pills..and as i found out, that didn't work..this time that i quit drinking, AA and the program of Action is a part of my sobriety, but, for the first few weeks, i relied on one those pills occasionally, they seem to work instantly..I don't take them anymore, because i am far enough into my Program of action, that i learn other tools, other resources, like picking up the phone, and going to meetings, and tomorrow i will have a sponsor..I started my program March, 2006, got comfy cozy, and slipped...so now i have 62 days..i lost nothing with that slip, but i have to tell you, it is so awesome having my life back, and not being consumed with the thought of alcohol..or the use of alcohol..i don't reccomend this medication for long use, a dr. won't prescribe it for more than a yr. anyways, because it is better to learn how to keep yourself sober by working your program, and learning to live life on life's terms, and this is OMP..I just know how hard it is, just as the other's do here at SR..and i will keep good thoughts for you and look forward to hearing more about your growth, and your success..life is beautiful through unfogged eyes, that is a guarantee..take care, and best wishes..