View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaibaby

Welcome!

Glad to see you here! You'll find lots of support and encouragement on these boards.

As for my own experience, I went to a 90 day treatment center(Palmetto Addiction Recovery in Rayville, LA--they have a web site.) Anyway, they treat dual disorders and have outpatient programs, tho' they prefer inpatient treatment. My advice to you is that if you want to go the treatment route, then inpatient 60 to 90 day treatment is your best bet, because in the research I've done, I've learned that after the 1st 30 days in-patient, the body may or may not start another cycle of craving.

As for AA, many THOUSANDS of alcoholics have gotten sober without ever having to spend one night in treatment. Testimonies ABOUND from those who have done nothing other than go to meetings, get a sponsor, and work the program. (It DOES truly "work if you work it.")

I chose treatment, because of a family intervention, and also because I never really knew how to live in the first place.

So...if you choose treatment, I'd say stay as long as you can for the full benefit. If you choose AA, you must WORK the program.

That's my 2 cents...

Good luck to you, and Keep Coming Back!

Kai