Notices

What Should I Do?

Old 07-01-2003, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

What Should I Do?

I've been struggling with alcoholism for years. You could say, though, that I'm a functioning alcoholic. No job losses or DUIs due to it.

I've tried various treatments including an outpatient program, a two week in patient program and various drugs that supposedly curb your appetite for alcohol. The drugs gave me side effects.

I'm now considering other inpatient programs but I'm confused with the number of possibilities.

Is inpatient better than outpatient or just AA? What is a reasonable amount of time? Some centers say the longer you stay the more you succeed.

Some centers have strict rules and schedules, while others allow more freedom. Which is better?

Are there any alternative programs or offerings to consider?

Can anyone recommend a center that has been truly helpful?
I live in Texas but have browsed centers in Florida and California and other states. I would like one with dual disorders treatment.

Please respond.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2003, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Glad to see you here! You'll find lots of support and encouragement on these boards.

As for my own experience, I went to a 90 day treatment center(Palmetto Addiction Recovery in Rayville, LA--they have a web site.) Anyway, they treat dual disorders and have outpatient programs, tho' they prefer inpatient treatment. My advice to you is that if you want to go the treatment route, then inpatient 60 to 90 day treatment is your best bet, because in the research I've done, I've learned that after the 1st 30 days in-patient, the body may or may not start another cycle of craving.

As for AA, many THOUSANDS of alcoholics have gotten sober without ever having to spend one night in treatment. Testimonies ABOUND from those who have done nothing other than go to meetings, get a sponsor, and work the program. (It DOES truly "work if you work it.")

I chose treatment, because of a family intervention, and also because I never really knew how to live in the first place.

So...if you choose treatment, I'd say stay as long as you can for the full benefit. If you choose AA, you must WORK the program.

That's my 2 cents...

Good luck to you, and Keep Coming Back!

Kai
Old 07-01-2003, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Johnster -

I can't really speak to you about treatment programs because I don't have that much experience with them. I have been going to an outpatient program but I don't think it is really helping me all that much.

My situation sounded a lot like yours in that I functioned pretty well. I had no financial, legal, or work related troubles. My drinking was limited to late at night after all my responsibilities were taken care of. [if you read my very first post you will see what I mean.] I had to sit my wife down and explain to her what was going on.

Can you talk more about your pattern of drinking?

I am early on in my sobrity so I won't claim to have all the answers. Having said that, I can tell you a few things that have helped me or that I experienced. Everyones story is different but maybe by me sharing you can learn something.

1) Confusion is normal. I am going through lots of up and downs. I am just trying to ride it out.

2) I am taking a lot of vitamin B-Complex and C-Complex. Folic Acid is supposed to help a lot too. Are they helping me a lot? I am not sure. I don't think it is hurting me any though. I abused my body for a good long time and I hope the vitamins are at least helping in some small way. Truth be told, eating properly is better than vitamins anyway.

3) Sleep for me has been very hard but I am getting what I can when I can. Insomnia sucks.

4) I relapsed a few times but I have been trying to learn what makes me want to drink. I am trying to break the habit of drinking at a certain time of day. Someone once told me "you drink when you are unhappy". I think, for me, that was true.

When I took the decision not to drink, I just told myself not to pick one up. "Do anything but that." It hasn't been easy but it wasn't as hard as I feared (I had no DT's per se, just a hard time sleeping and generally in a bad mood without warning).

I am sort of rambling here. Keep posting here! You can beat this!!

- Tanis
Old 07-01-2003, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and

Welcome!!

I am an alcoholic who went directly into AA. In `84 no insurance=no choice!! I have no expeience on any other way...but

I do find it ironic that after X months and Z ddollars...AA is the often the solution.

I too functioned quite well as a drunk. Depression drove me to recovery.

The joy of sobriety is awesome!!

Cheering you forward....
Old 07-02-2003, 02:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Johnster,
Like Carol, I too came straight to AA. Not many treatment centers around back then. I have an opinion about treatment centers but it's just mine.
My thoughts are that unless you need detox I'd try AA first. Treatment costs money, and like AA, nothing works unless you want it to work. So, try a few meetings, ask a guy if you can call him every day and get some numbers to call, read the Big Book(Alcoholics Anonymous)cover to cover, ask questions about working the steps and if after you've tried these things, you think you still need teatment, get out your checkbook and go for it. Just remember, there are a lot of people who need to get sober, but there aren't as many people who want to be sober. Neither AA or treatment will work if you don't want to get sober.
Check back and let us know how things are going.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It Works It Really Does

What Should I Do?

Hi Johnster...

Don here, recovered alkie. I ended up in a treatment facility back in Nov. 1970...arrived there drunk. When I sobered up enough to understand where I was and what was happening, one of the staff members told me "You're not very smart! You could have gotten this same thing for free in A.A." I was 47at the time, acting like I was 2. Crying a lot and peeing my pants. Anyway, I stayed the 30 days, I "graduated," and have made AA a way of life ever since. What I heard about AA being free was true...A.A. is free for the asking. If I read your post correctly, treatment, "you've been there and done that!" As a suggestion, give A.A. and/or N.A. the good old college try for 90 days, and if not satisfied, I'm sure they will gladly refund your miseries.

There is a short paragraph in the book of Alcoholics Anonymous, page 88, that goes like this, "It works. It really does." I hope you find this out to be true for you....as it has been for me.

Good luck

Don A.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Hi Johnster and welcome to SR!

Personally, I haven't had the money to go to a treatment center. So, I tried AA.

I wound up in the hospital with alcohol poisening and on a ventilator. When I got out of the hospital a few days later (luckily no withdrawals) I went to an AA meeting.

I haven't missed a meeting yet (I'm going for 90 meetings in 90 days). I make my 90 in 90 on the 19th of this month and plan to continue daily meetings. That's what it takes to keep this alcoholic sober.

Music suggested reading the Big Book cover to cover... now THAT'S a good idea. Some of the first 164 pages can be a bit dry and the writing is "outdated" (I had no prob because I have read alot from that time) because it was written in 1939, but its is well worth it. And the stories following it will make you feel less lonely. They show how much alike we all are.

Try a meeting out and see what it's like. Try a few meetings out and see what they're like. And good luck to you!