View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
paulmh

Doorknob says:

Is your HP of a secular nature?
I don't know. I'll ask him.

:kidding:

I'm in danger of hijacking a thread again. I find this difficult to explain. AA taught me that the cause of all my problems is in me. I choose to call it Pride. Here's a bit of the wikipedia definition of Pride from the seven deadly sins -

Pride is known as the father of all sins. Pride is a desire to be more important or attractive to others, failing to give credit due to others, or excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbor".
That's me as an alcoholic. Note the bit about "holding self out of proper position to God". The antidote to that is to have a proper sense of one's self in the universe - in other words to live with a sense of the Higher Power. But this is a personal experience - it's not about what the nature of the universe is, which is something beyond my ken, but it's about what my nature is, which is something within my ken. If I cultivate what are traiditionally called Virtues - humility and honesty being most relevant here - I can offset the damage that Pride does me. As people in my AA rooms in the UK so often say - I don't have to believe in God. I just have to stop believing it's me.

Sorry to go off topic again.