View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
atalose

What do I do to stop being a doormat?

In order to stop being a doormat, you have to get up off the floor. Learn to say no and mean it! If the equation always equals you being treated like a doormat, then change the equation. Since we know we can't change other people, you need to change. And yes, they are not going to like it but you need to stick with it. It's hard, very hard sticking to meaning it not just saying it. If clothes are left on the floor and laundry is not getting done, O well, let them wear dirty clothes. I remember the first time my son went nuts because I hadn't done his laundry. His laundry was sitting in a pile in the corner of his room. I had asked several times for him to bring it down stairs and help me out by doing it himself. I got the ya ya ya, later. Of course it was my fault that he had to wear dirty pants to school, he was 16 at the time. I told him he'd be wearing dirty pants again tomorrow if he didn't do his own laundry. He did, and from then on, no fights I was so pround of myself for allowing him to take responsibility for himself. I have to admit, my finance (ex) didn't treat me that way, as a matter of fact he would point out those traits when my kids treated me that way. He helped me see it was not right to be treated that way.