View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sunshine003

Three weeks early shoudn't be a problem but that isn't always so. Preemies born at 36 weeks have been known to have breathing problems. Each baby is different. With that said, the rate of problems drops dramatically after the 30 week mark. A hurdle? Absolutely but wonderful outcomes with no long term affects from babies born after 30 weeks these days.

I had one born at 29 1/2 weeks, weighing a little over two pounds. She couldn't breath on her own but only needed help for 24 hours (the little fighter). I had another born at 33 weeks....she never needed any help breathing. First preemie spent 7 weeks in the NICU. Second one only spent 1 week.....so you see how much of a difference those three weeks make? Plus, if it is scheduled then I'd imagine they gave her shots to help his lungs develop quickly. They also give them something to help make their lungs "wet" and it all works quickly.

Prayers coming your way.

P.S Both of my preemie babies are all caught up. You'd never know. The 29 1/2 weeker is well beyond other girls her age, she's even taller, LOL. By the time she was 15 months, you would have never known.

With the second preemie, by the time she was 3 months old, she was caught up!!!