View Single Post
Old 06-23-2003, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Csmcjewl

Is this "allowed" in AA..?

Hi all,
Quick concern....well, a quick recap...I have been doing ok since Friday, still sober that is. I've been avoiding my friends and when I went into the meeting tonight I saw the guy I drank with Friday and I was going to tell him that I wasn't going to hang out anymore if he just wanted to drink. But, he got up and said it was too hot in the room and left. I don't know if that was really because of me or what....but...Aww well. My concern is...there is a guy at the meetings that has been there since my very first meeting that I see every so often. Well, I was thinking of asking him to be my sponsorer, is that allowed? Would it be recommended that I find a woman? This guy is the only guy I've talked to so far at the meetings besides Aaron. He's in his 30's. He talked about going to college to fill a hole today and I totally understood where he was coming from. And last week I saw him on the railtrail but I didn't say hi. Today, that was my lead-in...he said it was probrably him and feel free to say hi next time. Then he asked how I was doing to which I said...well, honestly...pretty horrible, I'm back to 3 days sober. It was kinda odd too because just admitting it and getting it off my chest made a huge lump form in my throught so I changed the subject pretty quick. But, I just feel like if I actually got the chance to sit down and talk to his guy, I could really talk to him ya know? I looked around the room at all the girls there and there's this older lady who doesn't really seem too concerned and these 3 young girls who seem to have formed like the AA click or something. I don't quite understand that but, I'm not much one for superficial relationships so...I stay away from that. But, I just wanted to know...1. How does one go about getting a sponsorer? I mean, I feel like I'm scoping the room out everytime I go in or something, feels kinda wierd. and 2. How good do you have to know the person before you ask them? and 3. Is it ok to ask a guy or should I keep looking and find a woman? Just a few....I'm still pretty nervous about this whole thing but I know i want to do it, I've got to get one or I'm never going to make it 30 days. He even asked me if I had a sponsorer but I said no and just kinda changed the subject cause I got wierded out. I wanted to ask on here first...and then I mean, what do you do...? just walk up to some stranger and be like..hey, will you sponseror me? Do you like, ask to talk to them in private or what? I mean, I'd love to talk to that guy...or anyone I feel I could connect with ya know? I'd love to just get all this off my chest...all my fears about wanting to do it but I feel like...well, no...I know I Can Not do it like I have been...The Me against the world tactic just doesn't work. anyways, I'm rambling again but...i'm just really nervous about this. I haven't even made a single friend beyond drinking buddies in ages ya know? So....just approaching someone is kinda nervewracking because i don't have a beer in my hand. I know this makes me sound like a big dork or something, i'm really not...i've done some pretty crazy stuff I'm just kinda shy when it comes to new situations. Please help....I'm going to another meeting tomarrow the guy will be at or I could hit the womans meeting instead. Someone give some sort of guidance...? Thanks!