View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aasharon90

Thumbs up AA Help AND UNDERSTANDING

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Yes you are in one of the right places. Any place for u to vent and have support to help u is good. We do have lots of good suggestions avialable right here in SR to help u and guide u in the right direction.

Not only have i been in recovery since 8-11-90, but i am also a adult child of an alcoholic mom. One of 4 siblings in my family and the only one who hit bottom and thru family intervention went thru rehab. My family did for me what i couldnt do for myself. And that was to seek the help necessary to get and stay sober. For that im truely grateful.

As a child and 1 of 4 was singles out to endure the physical and verbal abuse at the hands of my sick mom. She had the dr. jeckel/ mr. hyde personality. A lovely attractive lady who worked a good job and was able to be somewhat a mom during the dark periods of my life.

When i got sober i had to learn to forgive the disease of alcoholism that she had and to not hate her for what she did to me.....today i do understand the disease and what kind of a hold it has on people like me. I also still reflect on the pain i endured as a child from the physical abuse. Torture.

I dont think any child should ever have to endure abuse of any kind.

Anyway....i think my moms faith had kept her from going off the deep end. Today she lives in Baton Rouge with my dad for many years and i out of 4 sibling moved to Houston. There has always been a distance between her and i....and because of that i seeked out other women in the past to take her place as my mom. Today i dont need anyone else. I know i still have my own mom and have accepted her as she is.

I commend u for ur strength and awareness of what to do in ur situation. First reaching out for advice or suggestions to better help u out and reading and educationg urself about the disease of alcoholism. I also commend u for the support of husband and the love of ur children.

Today i dont have to blame myself for anything that happened when i was a child. I know i did my best to have everything just PERFECT in her eyes even tho she couldnt see it at the time or even today. I just know what i did even tho it was never good enough for her.

Family intervention for ur mom would be a good suggestion. There is also an AA phone line that u could call where someone is always available to talk to those with problems or who need rides to AA meetings.....Having someone to go pick ur mom up and take her to meetings or do a 12 step call on her.

Anyway....stay strong as u r and stay close as others will be along shortly to share their own experiences, strengths and hope with u.

Thanks for letting me share.