View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FriendInNeed

Thank you Earlybird and Best for a quick reply. Most of what u both said has went through my head at some point or another in my bid to find a solution to what i should do.
Your right Best about the helping her get drink, ive only went with her the once (last night) as she never usually asks me when she is sober, only when drunk at which times ive ALWAYS refused! rightly or wrongly but extremely difficult as i worry she hurts herself or ends up knocked out in the road.
Early bird, what u said is exactly how i feel i should behaving with her, but the idea of us all getting together and telling her how bad she is, what she has done etc etc, isnt this exactly the opposite to what AA suggest u do, i could be wrong but i'm sure i read somewhere that there is no need to make an alcoholic feel guilty and avoid doing it because they already feel bad enough and making them feel worse will only make them drink all the more.

Is it perhaps just a case of different things work for different people?
I'm sitting here deading my way through all the postings to get a better idea of things, while worrying myself that any second now, my friend will come walking in the front door drunk....wanting me to roll her cigarettes or help her upstairs, theres always something although i wonder if its more a case of letting people know she is drunk....she keeps saying she "can't do it" "its too difficult just now" but i think she is looking for her parents to get her taken in to hospital like they had to in september, but she isnt quite as bad this time altho she would tell u she is worse! Is it possible that she is attention seeking when she is drunk? making herself out to be worse than she is...that she wants an easy way out of her drinking by being taken in to hospital to be "forced" sober through a locked in detox?

I really apologise for all the questions, but i have one more....its a request for oppinions on whether taking people away to detox against there will actually works....or are they MORE likely to slip back as apposed to if they reach rock bottom and drag themselves out? Or again is it just a case of it works differently for different people.
Thanks again for listening, i really do appreciate it! apart from here i have no other contacts to help me with this at the moment.