View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FriendInNeed

Question How Do I Help Her?

Hiya everyone, I hope i am doing this in the correct place. I am at my wits end. I have a very close friend who is also my next door neighbour. She is currently drinking herself out of her life. She has already been in hospital in september last year and suffers severe depression/anxiety/panic. Her parents are great and have tried everything that they can possibly think off to help. Although we are all aware that the ability for her to get better has to come from within herself. What do we all do in the meantime while she is getting drunk every night to knock herself out?

She has already lost her two teenage daughters as they cant stand to be in the house with her due to her behaviour when she is drunk. They are now with her mum and dad, however, she still isnt low enough to fight the alcohol to get the kids home.

I'm completely stuck as to what i should do, her mum is the same, we are constantly picking her up and carrying her to the toilet, making sure she is ok throughout the nights, talking to her when she is drunk and upset trying to settle her down so she can sleep the alcohol off. We have also recently had to walk with her to the shops as she is too scared to go alone, although we know she will buy drink but its not as easy as just walking away and leaving her. Are we doing the right thing picking her up and looking after her when she is drunk, or are we just enabling her to carry it on....should we withdraw our help so it forces her to help herself? We dont know what to do for the best, can anyone help with any suggestions as to a way forward?