View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I think it's unrealistic to expect "happily ever after." Nothing lasts forever. But can you make the best of your current situation and your current relationship? Can you turn your life around? You betcha.

There are some happy endings and successful reconcilations among us. I, for one, am thoroughly enjoying the time I spend with Richard, my recovering alcoholic boyfriend. But before he found a path to sobriety, I had moved on and was thoroughly enjoying life without him.

A number of folks on this forum are happily living with the recovered and active alcoholics in their life. How do they do it? By learning from their past mistakes. By learning new coping mechanisms. By learning how take the focus off of the addicts in their lives and placing it on themselves. By being open to new ideas and new solutions. By learning to let go of anger and replacing it with compassion and understanding. And most importantly, by learning how to be happy with themselves first.

You can't be happy sharing your life with others until you learn how to be happy yourself.