View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2dayzmuse
Paused

I thought I'd share a story with you of what I did when I was detoxing from alcohol. I was jones'in big time. I believe I was on day two of detox coming off from a 9 nine day hardcore binge. I was hurting, bouncing off of the walls. I had someone from AA sitting with me basically babysitting me. I had handed over my car keys because I couldn't trust myself. I knew I would try to make a break for it to the store. Right in front of the AA member, I pick up the phone and called my dearest friend who lived down the street. She knew what was going on. She had been checking in with me during my ordeal. I begged her to bring me alcohol. Just a couple of beers, wine cooler, which I can't stand. Anything to relieve my pain. She instantly burst into tears. She cared enough about me to say no, but she felt guilty by saying that. She knew that alcohol withdrawals could kill you. She didn't want to enable me and cared enough to say no. Today she is still my best friend even though I put her in such a position. My own selfishness and desperation wasn't considering her feelings at all. The cravings passed with time and I got through that horrible time. I'm glad she told me no. To this day, I know she doesn't hold it against me. She understands the power of addiction and withdrawal. However, I still can't believe I did that. We say and do things we normally wouldn't do.