View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Don't know about your area, TG, but my 55 mile (110-mile round trip) daily commute takes me roughly 2 hours each way--that's four hours on the road a day. I leave my house 8:30 am and return home at 8:30 pm. Not much time left for me after I grab a quick dinner, clean up afterwards, feed the dogs, and spend some time with my daughter. By that time it's 11:00 pm and time for bed.

I bought a new, used car in December. It had 9,000 miles on it at the time. Four months later, it now has 19,000 miles on it. It's a hybrid, but even so, I fill the tank every other day at nearly $3.00 per gallon.

My last car was worn out before it was paid off--had to tack on the additional amount I owed on to the back of this loan. I'll have to make extra payments to ensure that doesn't happen again.

And the daily 110-mile round trip commute means higher insurance rates and more wear and tear on my car, which means more frequent oil changes, more tires, more maintenance, plus a higher chance of being in an accident simply because I'm on the road so much.

Not trying to keep you from realizing your dreams. Just want to you consider fully how a commute like this can impact your life. You won't know for sure unless you live it for a while. I live it now. It's no picnic.

And here's one more thing to consider: I'm currently spending $240.00 per month on gas. So, say goodbye to your potential $300/month salary increase.