OT -- Justified the commute

Old 04-13-2006, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT -- Justified the commute

I have been worried a little about commuting, even though Patty & Jazz have sworn up and down that a 65 minute commute is a good thing. I just justified it in my head, and now I am feeling even better about it all!

I was not making much money at my current job, and as such, I was having a difficult time paying student loans etc. As such, I had often contemplated taking a part-time job to make ends meet. Although I had not yet done it, it was something I felt might have to happen eventually if I was going to get my loans back where they should be.

OK, so I would have worked 15 or so extra hours a week making $7 approximately per hour. That's only $105 extra per week. Nothing to sneeze at, but nothing phenomenal either.

Get this...my new part-time job is my commute! The 10 - 11 hours I will spend on the road each week now will be "work," and I will be making more like $300 per week extra with the job change. And at this part time "job," I can sing out loud to my favorite music and gab on the phone if I want to. LOL, my boss won't care. Not to mention the other positives like this is a move up with more responsibility + a route to freedom should I decide that is my choice.

I'm feeling so positive now! What a great day!
Just had to share...
Old 04-13-2006, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You go! girl

Mike :-)
Old 04-13-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So glad you have finally seen the silver lining in that dark
cloud you had over your head.......
Personally I will not drive 65 minutes any longer....
My 2 teenage sons demand too much of my "taxi" services
for all their activities....but once upon a time I did that
commute....I sang, talked on the cell, recorded memos to myself,
listened to audio books.....you get the idea....
Old 04-13-2006, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

....I love the way you weighed the whole thing out......
Good job......
Old 04-13-2006, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, and Patty, I bought that book on my lunch break. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2006, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You go girl........great things are just around the corner for you.....
Old 04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great thinking Texas Girl!!!! You'll love your new boss.. LOL
Old 04-13-2006, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

now that's what i call progress!!! looks like your glass is MORE than half full TG!!! way to go!
Old 04-13-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

That's wonderful TG! It all makes perfect sense to me and keep those wheels a turnin'.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

TG, What would be wrong with getting a sleeping room or studio apt for Tue thu Thur nights. Drive Mon. AM and Fri. eve?? More rest and relaxation, and save gas.

If someone loves your dog and doesn't have childern they might do foster care for few months. You buy the food so they have the right kind. What you would save in gas you could maybe aford to take them with you and kennel them??
Old 04-14-2006, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Don't know about your area, TG, but my 55 mile (110-mile round trip) daily commute takes me roughly 2 hours each way--that's four hours on the road a day. I leave my house 8:30 am and return home at 8:30 pm. Not much time left for me after I grab a quick dinner, clean up afterwards, feed the dogs, and spend some time with my daughter. By that time it's 11:00 pm and time for bed.

I bought a new, used car in December. It had 9,000 miles on it at the time. Four months later, it now has 19,000 miles on it. It's a hybrid, but even so, I fill the tank every other day at nearly $3.00 per gallon.

My last car was worn out before it was paid off--had to tack on the additional amount I owed on to the back of this loan. I'll have to make extra payments to ensure that doesn't happen again.

And the daily 110-mile round trip commute means higher insurance rates and more wear and tear on my car, which means more frequent oil changes, more tires, more maintenance, plus a higher chance of being in an accident simply because I'm on the road so much.

Not trying to keep you from realizing your dreams. Just want to you consider fully how a commute like this can impact your life. You won't know for sure unless you live it for a while. I live it now. It's no picnic.

And here's one more thing to consider: I'm currently spending $240.00 per month on gas. So, say goodbye to your potential $300/month salary increase.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jill
So, say goodbye to your potential $300/month salary increase.
Thanks for your input, but I am a little smarter than that. That is after a generous $350/month allowance for gas and car maintenance. My drive will be 55 miles one way, for a total of 110 miles.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Hope you don't think that I was insinuating that you weren't smart. Just pointing out some things to consider before you take the plunge.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Another use for that time in the car is learning something new. I homeschool my children and we've been hearing the "Story of the World" on CD. I'm a lot more educated about world history now. You could try learning another language with language CDs or see if the library has books on CD you're interested in.