View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TexasGirl

OT -- Justified the commute

I have been worried a little about commuting, even though Patty & Jazz have sworn up and down that a 65 minute commute is a good thing. I just justified it in my head, and now I am feeling even better about it all!

I was not making much money at my current job, and as such, I was having a difficult time paying student loans etc. As such, I had often contemplated taking a part-time job to make ends meet. Although I had not yet done it, it was something I felt might have to happen eventually if I was going to get my loans back where they should be.

OK, so I would have worked 15 or so extra hours a week making $7 approximately per hour. That's only $105 extra per week. Nothing to sneeze at, but nothing phenomenal either.

Get this...my new part-time job is my commute! The 10 - 11 hours I will spend on the road each week now will be "work," and I will be making more like $300 per week extra with the job change. And at this part time "job," I can sing out loud to my favorite music and gab on the phone if I want to. LOL, my boss won't care. Not to mention the other positives like this is a move up with more responsibility + a route to freedom should I decide that is my choice.

I'm feeling so positive now! What a great day!
Just had to share...