Old 04-02-2006, 06:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Cap3

Hi blue,1--you say you never attend a meeting unless he is not there,so it should not affect his recovery.
2--You feel also thay these meetings are aiding your own recovery.
3--You feel you did nothing wrong,but try to help youself.
1-blue you cant make this decision for him.Truth,is,he has told you that youre attending these meetings is affecting him,and he is upset and has asked you not to continue coming to "his" meetings.Although as alcoholics we learn not to blame others for our thoughts/feelings,it is a learning process.The alcoholic is raw,has thoughts/feelings,that are new to him/her.In fear big time.In time will learn how to walk the walk to talk the talk.As he is growing learning a new way to live,down the road,he may happy that you come to these meetings.The newcomer feels that they are his/her meetings.Thats a very common feeling/thoughts.This is their home.I felt the same way also,when i was new.My meetings...smile.As you have been to these meetings long before him,you know by what others have shared,what it was like in their beginnings,of their soberiety,what im sharring should be no surprise.And that there is no annominity at open meetings.All can come.No one can actually stop anyone from coming to open meetings.
2--You feel that these meetings are in "aid" of your own recovery.
To the alcoholic meetings are their ----life-line---.Where in order to get well-er,they must feel the fellowship,comfty,not threatened.3--You feel you did nothing wrong,but try to help yourself.And this is true.You have every right to believe this,and feel this way.To heck with those who actually have the disease of alcoholism right?Walk a mile in my shoes.Its better to understand than be understood.There is a time.a time to help myself and a time to be compassionate towards others and to give.
Both my hub and are are alcoholics.We dont go to each others meetings.Not even open ones.Some couples do of course,when both have agreed no one is threatened by going.
Im praying that your man will go to the other meeting in town.He will learn in time,not to let others bother him to the extent that he allows them to now.Not to give so much power over to others.He will learn in time.In both recovery programs AA and Al-anon,we learn to help others.This is a big aid to ones recovery.
best to you both,
Thanks for letting me share,
God Bless,and take care!!!

Last edited by Cap3; 04-02-2006 at 07:11 AM. Reason: adding to.