Thread: Real happiness
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
denny57

Originally Posted by lizzy girl
I am just starting to get help for myself after 27 years of living with an alcoholic husband. Its hard for me to believe I could ever be truly happy when he is drinking.
Detachment seems like an unachievable mystery to me right now. I can't yet bring myself to an alanon meeting, but I have been seeing a counselor for the last month.
It's so overwhelming right now.
Welcome Lizzy

I was with my AH 18 years and decided I could not be happy living with him drinking. He did not want to stop, so he has moved out and filed for divorce. Before all that happened, I started in Al-Anon and therapy and everyday I am grateful that I took those steps before all of this happened. I felt completely overwhelmed, so I know how you feel. I think it's wonderful you've realized you need to do something for yourself. Take your time, be kind to and gentle with yourself. One day at a time.

Today I continue in Al-Anon and therapy. I come here to SR, I attend open AA meetings. I've read numerous books and attended classes and lectures. Sounds like a lot, but I have learned to fit everything in and still lead a great life. I seem to have more time for everything because my life does not revolve around my AH 24/7.

I wish you all the best in the coming days, weeks and months. The going gets rough, but I have found it so rewarding.