Thread: my first post
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
squirrelly77
Little Girl Found

Hey there and welcome to SR!

I just wanted to welcome you and say that you're definitely NOT alone in how you're feeling. A lot of us can relate to what you wrote...including me. I didn't start out drinking every day but when I did drink, I drank to oblivion...just as you wrote. After I knew that my life was spiraling out of control...I tried every imaginable way on my own to stop drinking...because I thought that if I got that under control, everything else would fall into place. Don't get me wrong, a lot of my mistakes and "bad" behavior resulted from my alcohol abuse, but when I finally walked into the rooms of AA--I realized that my drinking and drugging wasn't the cause of my misery, it was a symptom. Take that away...and what have you go left? Sorta like the saying, if a drunken horse thief sobers up...you still have a horse thief.
Anyways...there is a lot of hope, help, and experience to be found here and there are many ways in which people have gotten sober. But like I said...I use AA and the 12-steps laid out in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. It's a pretty scary thing when someone realizes that they may have a problem with drinking and using drugs, and the fact that you realize it and are reaching out for help here says a lot. You made a huge step! There's a lot of information here and I hope you decide to stick around and we can get to know you better!

Danielle