View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ranae1221

<<<<What about your limits?
What happens if he has alcohol on the property or anywhere else for that matter? What are the immediate consequences and next steps? What happens if he resists attending an appointment or misses one? And how far are you willing to go to faciliate his attending treatment? Are you willing to attend with him as a support if he's willing and compliant? Are you willing to continue to support him in attending treatment if it requries coercion and threats? What role(s) are you willing to take on? >>>>

You have raised some very good questions, and I will need to think about this. Thank you.

As far as me being 25 and caring for him, I have always been "old" for my age. Even my job, I have been doing social work/case management since I was 19. I am starting to think though that I may be "addicted" to caring for others. I took care of my mom and younger siblings from the time I was 13, I took care of my then husband for the short time we were married, I took care of Shirley untill she died, and my job requires me to care for others too, in a way. I don't feel "ok" or like I am worth anything unless I am taking care of someone. When I was in group therapy, I was the one counseling everyone else. I am great at taking care of others, and suck at caring for myself. I have just started to realize this the past few days, and am trying to decide what to do about it. Your suggestion for this book came at the perfect time, and I will pick it up the next time I am at a bookstore. I will try to make sure I read it all- I have a tendancy to read many "self help" books, untill it hits to close to home and I stop reading it.

I will also keep coming here, and thanks again for letting me talk.