View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Although I truly believe I would have become alcoholic regardless of when I picked up, I remember discovering at a very early age that alcohol had the amazing effect of making me not care about all those uncomfortable feelings. If I drank enough and passed out, there were no nightmares. I wasn't afraid of anyone. I could say what was on my mind. And, when bad things continued happening to me drunk as well as sober, it made the very real physical pain hurt less. I just didn't care.

I deal with PTSD as well. My sobriety and my chosen method of seeking sobriety (AA) has helped me immeasurably in dealing with the symptoms of PTSD. I've been on medications galore, and none of them has helped me as much as the spiritual aspect of my recovery. Whether or not you are a "real" alcoholic yet is something only you can decide. Others can give you input, but the final assessment comes from your own heart. I know a lot of people who've found freedom and joy in living a program, whether or not they fit the profile of a "real" alcoholic.

Peace & Love,
Sugah