View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm the mother of an addict, Speed Freak, a died in the wool codependent, if you know what that means (if not, drop down to the Naranon forum and you will meet lots of us). Before recovery, I think I lived on adrenaline too, worrying about my son, running around trying to save him, afraid he would die, and I too couldn't sleep or function very well. But as long as I was running around trying to solve his problems, I didn't have to face my own. That's how codependency is with most of us.

You don't sound so very different from me. You are in pain because of your broken relationship and adrenaline buries the pain. I know that because it did for me.

The thing is, it doesn't make the pain go away, it just masks it until I finally began working a program that would let me slowly peel away the layers of emotion until I could finally face the pain and walk through it. Denying it was there, didn't fool anyone but me.

Perhaps drop down to Naranon and take a read around and see if there is anything that you can identify with. Read the "sticky" posts at the top of that forum, and see if you have the characteristics of a codependent. Codependents are not just people who love addicts, it is a deeply rooted dysfunction that often stems from childhood issues and comes through when we are triggered in our relationships. And our recovery is about healing ourselves, not saving the addict.

Also, there is a wonderful 12-Step group called CoDA (Codependents Anonymous) which is my home fellowship, and many people there come to work on their issues, and many of them have no connection with substance abuse.

I think you might find it helpful.

Hugs
Ann