View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
PaperDolls
Its_me_jen

The A in my life (besides myself) is my mother. I suppose that's a little different then having an A spouse but this is "friends and family" after all..............

My mother is 59 years old and has been sober for 3 years now. It's just been the last year or so that I don't smell her drinks when she is over at my house. She seems to be doing great. She got sober without AA and without much outside help. Which does scare me a little. The fact that she literally almost drank herself to death was her bottom. She just remembers how she felt then and I think that's what keeps her sober today.

My father is also an A and has been sober for something like 35 or 40 years. He's an avid AA member. He gives meetings at the local jail and loves it. He also attends Al-anon.

I couldn't leave my mother while she was actively drinking. She did live with me for a short time after being kicked out of about 7 differnt places including 4 half-way houses. When she moved in I told her she could live with me as long as she wasn't drinking. She kept on drinking so I had to kick her out. It was about 6 or 7 months later that she ended up in ICU on her death bed. It was hard to do but I'm glad I did it now.

I love my mom. I love her for how strong she has been over the last 3 years. I love her for being a better person today. I love her for finally loving herself. I love her for being alive. I love having my mother back today. I missed her so much. I actually have a mom again.

~doll

P.S. Hi Rhinogal......nice to meet you!