View Single Post
Old 05-17-2003, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

Hi again Justfedup.

That rock bottom thing doesn't happen with every alcoholic. It didn't with my Dad. He drank more or less the same amount as long as I knew him, kept his business running and his family supported. I know people talk a lot about the progressive disease of alcoholism, but alcoholics are individuals. You don't have to conjure up a future disaster to have plenty to think about. Your life is difficult now. You just have to decide if the status quo is acceptable. But you don't have to do it today. And if you decide it's acceptable today, it's okay to decide it isn't next week, or next month. Sometimes we suggest to people that they begin devising an escape plan. That's simply putting the wheels in motion so that IF you decide at some future time that you want to conduct your life separately for awhile, you can. It means having a place to go and having funds to take care of yourself and your kids. It sounds like you may already have that worked out with your folks. That's great. There's nothing worse than feeling trapped.

Hugs,
Smoke