View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Linda C.

Originally Posted by Jezabel Starfox
1. What is the general format for meetings? What are the differences for AA & NA?
2. What is proper etiquette when participating in these meetings?
3. Is it customary for set topics and only set topics to be discussed during meetings?
4. Do all questions have to be saved until after the meeting?
5. Do you have to have a sponsor to participate and how long do you get before deciding on a sponsor?
6. If you do not hold theistic beliefs, how does one fit in with the NA/AA model of recovery?
7. Do you have knowledge of support groups that rely on a more open format for their meetings?
8. Has NA/AA helped you? If yes or no, Why?
Answering your questions:
#1. Meetings are different in all areas -- but generally the same. People come in, sit down. Someone is chair person. Some reading is done. If its a discussion meeting -- a topic is brought up and everyone get a turn to speak if they wish. If its a speakers meeting - the speaker shares through most of the meeting. If a newcomer lets people know he/she is new - the group usually has a first step meeting. Its a good thing to let them know if your new.
#1(part 2) There is not a lot of difference between AA and NA meetings. The program of NA is exactly the same as AA with the steps etc.. The only difference is the word alcohol and alcoholic are replaced with drug addiction.

#2. Just go and listen.. I think you are overthinking this whole thing.. This is not a business meeting.. Its a bunch of x drunks and/or druggies getting together to help each other..

#3. Depends on the meetings. Sometimes they are general discussion with someone bringing up a topic. Other times it may be a specific step or something. Nothing to be concerned about.. Just go ( smile )

#4. Again - depends on the way that particular meeting is run.. I been going to meetings ( and sober ) 25 years.. I don't much care about rules and if I got something to ask or say I do so.. with respect of course. They are not going to throw you out for it... if for some strange reason that would happen then its not a real AA or NA meeting.

#5. No you don't have to have a sponsor.. You don't even have to be alcoholic or say you are.. The Book states and this is read at nearly every meeting too THE ONLY REQUIREMENT FOR MEMBERSHIP IS A DESIRE TO STOP DRINKING.... that is it.. There are no other requirement. Getting a sponsor is up to each individual but its highly suggested you do so..

#6. FACT.. AA is not Religious. There are no rules that you have to belieive in any particular God.. We encourage people to develop a belief in a higher power of some sort.. and of your own choosing.. I have met people who beleive in all kinds of faiths, all kinds of things including just plain nature.. And - of course we even have athiests..

#7. Some meetings are more structered than others.. Some are very laid back. This is true both on and off line.. There is a GREAT deal of online resources for recovery.. It may also help you to go to the aa.org website where the Big Book is readable right online..

#8.. Has it helped me?? If you knew my story and knew me now you would not beleive I am even the same person.. ( smile )... Honey - If I could give you anything in the world I would give you 15 minutes of how I feel. If you could have that you would race to the nearest meeting.. Grab a sponsor and dive into those steps like your life depended on it.. For me - my life did depend on it -- even though I did not know it at the time.. But --- sadly I cannot give you that 15 minutes. Like each of us -- you must do the work and get it for yourself..

And I would like to let you know that if you ever wish to talk - I am always available at netherland125******.com

Linda C.