View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jezabel Starfox

Questions about NA/AA Meetings

Last night I logged on and noticed a message regarding an NA/AA online meeting. I would like to learn more about NA/AA. The kind moderator offered an opportunity after the meeting to ask all my questions. I could not stay long because of other commitments so I wanted to ask on a thread to hear from the moderator and other people about NA/AA and how it works. My questions are about the online and local meetings.

I am unsure of NA/AA meetings because I feel I fair better through individual counseling. I also have concerns about NA’s reliance on theistic beliefs of which I do not share. But I feel I cannot make an informed decision without knowing more. I have been trying to search the message boards for some of this information so if there is a link that would answer these questions, please share that link. I will start with these questions and as people respond, I probably will have more to ask and I appreciate your patience and participation.

1. What is the general format for meetings? What are the differences for AA & NA?
2. What is proper etiquette when participating in these meetings?
3. Is it customary for set topics and only set topics to be discussed during meetings?
4. Do all questions have to be saved until after the meeting?
5. Do you have to have a sponsor to participate and how long do you get before deciding on a sponsor?
6. If you do not hold theistic beliefs, how does one fit in with the NA/AA model of recovery?
7. Do you have knowledge of support groups that rely on a more open format for their meetings?
8. Has NA/AA helped you? If yes or no, Why?