View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 01:23 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
It sounds like he is acting as any alcoholic who wants to keep drinking acts. This is what they do.
Originally Posted by qtpi View Post
The big problem I had with Alanon is noone told me the bald-faced truth, except one person---- who said after a meeting, "Don't be like me. Don't wait until you are an old lady to get out."
^^^^ This!

As Bekind said, that's exactly, to a T how an alcoholic who wants to keep drinking acts.

You are taking a hard line now, he is confessing all. All that means is that he believes you accept his drinking now.

You said no to the 5 dollars, but he asked, because he is happy to step on your boundary. That forced you to take the "Mom" roll, which I'm sure you don't want.

The only thing that's really changed here, is you taking a harder line and enforcing your boundaries. Now that is a great thing! But he's still the same.

Who will pay his rent that he can't afford while he is over there? (that will be you btw)
Who will support him while he is with you (yes, that's you too)

But the result is that he's back to drinking to levels where he drank away his food budget.
He would rather drink alcohol than eat. That's hard to fathom really, but not at all surprising. If he had to choose between the two of you eating or a 6 pack, which do you think he would choose?

There is something not right here, you two don't seem to be on the same page? as much as he may be going along with what you suggest (as far as you know).

I only mention this because I hope you will protect yourself, your feelings. You may get really hurt here. I hope not, I hope it goes as you have planned.

He has a lot of work to do obviously, besides getting sober, it could be a long time before you find out who he really is underneath all of that.