View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
seekingpeace23

When do they need more help than rehab?

When do you know they need more help than rehab, ie, a mental facility?

I am the last person in the family that will speak to my step son- and it has been very limited to protect myself. It’s been a very long, difficult two years.
No one except me will have any communication with him. His behavior has been terrible to everyone in the family and his ex partner. He abandoned his one year old son.
I finally convinced him to go to rehab a few weeks ago.

He still has two weeks but every time he calls me I grow sad. Sad that nothing is any better. There’s so much that I just don’t have the energy to write. But there are so many lies and half truths. The narcissism is like nothing I’ve ever seen in my life. He will lie right in front of people knowing that they know the truth- sometimes were there and saw what happened and he still lies about it.

But here is what I wanted to ask. A couple years ago he made some very serious allegations about a child care facility when he was young. You always want to believe the victim. And we did.
But….I just don’t believe him anymore. It never added up and he lies constantly. He said he talked about this the other day at rehab. He also said his counselor sat him down and brought up his half-truths and narcissism. And it weirdly didn’t seem to bother him.
Has anyone else dealt with this? I’m starting to think he needs more help than rehab but I will talk to the counselors and see what they say.
Apparently the counselor broke the rules the other day and let him use his phone to call his brother to request he move his items out of his apartment as he was getting evicted. Instead he called me and asked for over $4,000 to cover all his overdue rent. This hit me (I said hat I did not have another cent for him) that he wasn't going to get it. The only thing I would help him with over two years was paying for this rehab. And the cost of it was insane and really hurt us. So the sad lights came on again that nothing was going to change.

I’m just sad. I had hoped he would use this to really work on being a dad to his son- if nothing else, Doesn't seem like even two weeks left will help.
I don't know what he needs at this point but I feel pretty done.