View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 09:16 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Oynnet

Well he lasted just under two weeks with the sobriety.
It was actually a social event that tipped him over the edge, we have a DnD game we play with a group of friends once a month. (It was the reason he and I started dating actually.) I had to work the last session, so I was going to miss it for the first time. He was on track to do a thing with his character, and he was anxious about it -and I wasn't there to support him. He ended up drinking to try and give himself courage. :/ He had three beers, and then just ghosted the DnD group (he was so ashamed he didn't go basically). He felt like he failed and drank two beers a night every night since then, until yesterday when he went cold turkey again. (So he drank for 5 days in a row).
From a relationship standpoint he's been making a *heck* of an effort. Even when he slipped, he was trying to repair the damage that had been done. We've had some hard conversations about the future without him hiding from them (which is its own progress as if he drinks his first instinct is to withdraw from conversations).
One of the things he is respecting more is the fact that I am holding him more accountable for his behaviour than I used to. It isn't that I am controlling him or anything, just calling him out - like when he breaks a promise or something.