View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
amj1982

My husband is in denial

Good morning.

My husband has always loved to drink in our 22 years of marriage. At times, he has always teetered on being able to control it but over the last 5 years, I feel like it has been become a full time part of his life. He sometimes will take his first drink at 8:30 in the morning and will even pour wine in the middle of the night. He doesn't feel he has a problem or is an alcoholic because he says he is never drunk. He also says that alcoholics don't hold down a job or go their kids events. It has gotten to the point that he drinks on average 8 drinks a day and as much as 12 on the weekends. He is now 100 lbs overweight. He has become a regular at bar, he lies about it, he hides it. He carries it around in his pocket when we are out. He has been working at home since 2020. He spends a lot of the day sleeping and was recently laid off from work. His job was project based and instead of seeking work when projects were slow, he would take lunches at the bar, work the full day at the bar or sleep. He blames me for his drinking and tells me I have Munchausen by proxy because I tell him he needs to get help because I want him to be an alcoholic. I'm just so depressed. I feel so stuck but this situation is a ticking time bomb.