View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SmallButMighty

Freshstart, I get it. For a long time I was triggered by complete strangers' drinking habits. I realized even then that I was being overly sensitive and that other people's choices were not my concern...however!...my instincts were still on high alert..and for good reason. I think that's OK. I think that's normal after trauma. If there is a part of you that wants to use extra caution around people that consume alcohol, that is valid and fair. That's part of your self care for right now. Maybe you won't always feel this way, maybe you will, what's important is that you surround yourself with people who don't trigger your anxieties. I don't think it's judgmental to decide that you just aren't compatible with someone (friend, family, romance, whatever) for whatever reason. Life is too short to to be forcing relationships that are uncomfortable at best and dangerous at worst.

I'm healed enough now that I don't have a panic response around alcoholics anymore. I'm grateful for that because unfortunately there are still a few in my life. Erecting and maintaining boundaries has been the saving grace for me.

You are being self aware and I think that's great!