View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Freshstart1111

Trying to date again/ St Patrick’s Day

I divorced my AH about 5 years ago. Since then have really gotten a much better understanding about alcohols effects. I used to have drinks because everyone else did. Now I maybe have a single drink every 3 months or so. I just have no interest.
I am finally trying to date after divorce, pandemic, mothers illness and passing. Time for me now.
But I feel suspicious of peoples drinking before I even meet them. And I have no idea if this is normal. I have been texting with one man for a week or two. Haven’t met yet. He texted today that he’s out at a bar celebrating St Patrick’s Day and that he “needs to watch his texts”. We are on our early 50s.
My mind immediately goes to past experiences. My first instinct is to run because of this. But I don’t even really know what he’s doing/how much he’s drinking or how much he drinks otherwise. I’m probably getting ahead of myself on this. But I just don’t know the difference between trusting my gut and overreacting given my past experiences with alcoholics.
Any advice?
I struggle with St Patrick’s Day because I see it now as just an excuse to get drunk. And it’s not just today. There are irish festivals, parades, the actual day. And for the people I know, all those center around drinking. But maybe for some it’s not just for drinking and I’m overreacting. My ex is 100% Irish. So I’ve found myself trending away from all things irish since I equate it with so much drinking.

Last edited by Freshstart1111; 03-17-2024 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Clarify title