View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 05:15 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Wow.

You are certainly an optimist, I'll give you that Oynnet.

I was in a long distance relationship for about six months. It was a long lost high school friend. He was (gently) pushing for me to move 3000 miles and move in with him. I have to say, that was really a scary prospect for me, and I wasn't even being asked to change countries.

After going through that I know that there is no way I'd change countries for someone I was dating. I went through months of being unsure and conflicted, and he was asking me to move to a beautiful vacation destination. If I had been sure it would have been a great move. Set aside the drinking and the financial difficulties your guy is having and look at it from his side. YOU would be fine if the relationship didn't work out. HE would be stuck in another country, unable to work (because Americans can't just work legally and easily in AU) and he would be in big trouble. No friends nearby. No family. How would he get home, and where would he live or work when he got back to America?

I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to make the move. I also understand his ambivalence. I'm sure he enjoyed your time together too. I've had a few of these short intense relationships. They're fantastic. Don't have to deal with day to day frustrations and life.

Maybe this was a way for you both to learn how to pick more accessible and stable people with whom to get involved.