Thread: Stuck in Limbo
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mattmathews

Many years ago, long before I knew much about alcoholism, or recovery, or why I might need recovery I read someone's story and they basically suggested that they just wished they had done something 5 years sooner. Five or 10 years later, when my alcoholic spouse had hit rock bottom, when I had hit rock bottom, I remembered those words!
I think it's worth taking the time to ask yourself the question, especially if you're not ready to take action now: In 5 years, after more rounds of rehab, of finding bottles stashed in the trunk of the car or under the bed, or underneath the sink, or in the vegetable crisper, after more medical interventions (none fatal, god willing), after missing outings with friends, after isolation, after all of that...will you wish you'd done something 5 years ago?
As a procrastinator from way back, I look at younger people who find recovery, who find a better life than they could have ever imagined, and I feel a little tinge of jealousy! It took me a long time to take action. You know we can't ever go back, but right here, right now, we can dig deep and find the courage to change the things we can...and we can let go of the things we have absolutely no control over...including another person's drinking.
I recommend attending Al-anon meetings because they helped me, but even more importantly because learned there that I don't have to do it alone, and that was a gift. Good luck to you on your journey.