View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by jsk View Post
My last post here was in 2013. Things are so much worse now. My 40 year old son lives alone in his own place. Has been divorced about 10 years and has not seen his 10 year old daughter in over 2 years. His situation for several years has been a roller coster with periods of sobriety alternating with daily drinking and prolonged binge drinking. (He also has anxiety and depression but refused to seek treatment so he self-medicates with alcohol.) During one binge last year he lost his job. He had a wonderful period of sobriety for 6-8 months, during which they hired him back. Before the holidays last year he backslid, began drinking again, and has been in a downward spiral. He has recently stopped going to work, so undoubtedly has been fired. He has been drinking continuously, probably not eating. He will answer the phone, but can hardly speak. We have stood behind him and encouraged him for 20+ years, but we have finally given up hope, and have decided to check on him but do nothing else unless he asks, which he will not. I have a fear this will result in us finding him dead one day, and I'm struggling with that. Not sure if we are doing the right thing. By leaving him alone, it seems we are allowing him to kill himself, but after all these years nothing changes. Could use some words of wisdom here.
I agree with the 3 c's, it's the truth. That said, if, in your state, you can have him committed for a period of time, I would take that route. He is beyond comprehension no doubt.

It's worth a call to a lawyer or other legal organization in your area (even a rehab or other treatment facility) as they will know where things stand in your state.

Please let us know how you get on.