Old 07-06-2023, 06:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in for another sober weekend!

Welcome, Joeb54. Stick with us, we can help your get through your first sober weekend!

I've got a busy busy weekend ahead. We are in the home stretch for getting both my daughter's house and my man friend's cabin ready to sell.

The cabin is already sold, they close on the 17th. There was 20 years' worth of stuff accumulated there in the house and the garage. It became sort of a storage area for him and for other members of his family. He lives in a small apartment, so he stored stuff there at the cabin. Anything he isn't throwing away or leaving for the buyers is going into a storage unit here. We have made several trips back and forth with trailers full of stuff. It's a 2.5 hour drive each way, so it's just grueling. There were also several repairs that needed to be done. I'll make one more trip up on Saturday with him to move more stuff back here.

My daughter's house is not on the market yet, but should be by next week. There were a whole lot of things to do there, like painting the whole interior and parts of the exterior, some drywall repair, light fixture replacement, yard clean-up, and lots and lots of cleaning. She's moving to a much smaller place (broke up with her boyfriend, neither one can afford the place alone). She had a massive sale and got rid of a lot, storing a lot at her father's place. I've been helping her with as much as I can. She's moving this weekend, then all there is left is a little more cleaning.

Then early Sunday, I'm leaving for a week to go visit my other daughter in NYC. Bad timing, as I won't be here to help my man friend with the last of the work at his cabin, and I can't help my daughter actually move. But this trip has been planned since before either of them decided to sell their places. And I think I've done enough! NYC is not exactly going to be a relaxing time, as my father who lives in FL is meeting us there, and I am the "cruise director" for the whole trip. I have done meticulous planning and made all of the necessary reservations, so it should all go well. I'm looking forward to the trip, but what I' m REALLY looking forward to is coming back and not having to dive back into helping anyone move. Everything should be done by then. I hope!

Oh, and work is insane, too. An early and unexpected retirement has us all scrambling and unsure of what is going to happen. We cannot catch a break.

Sobriety makes all of this possible without me losing my mind. I'm holding it all together while people around me nearly have nervous breakdowns. There's NO WAY I'd be able to do all this if alcohol were still on the table. So grateful every day when I wake up, knowing I have a difficult or busy day ahead, and I can face it with a clear head.

P. S. They both owe me lots of help when I eventually move out of my house. I am in NO HURRY and I'll probably move from there into assisted living when that time comes, so WAY in the future. I turned 60 last week, so fingers crossed I have many years of independence ahead of me.