View Single Post
Old 06-28-2023, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dbyrer

Originally Posted by Oglsby View Post
Hey everyone,
Just a little update. I have not heard from my sister in over a week and, I must confess, it feels amazing. Being honest with myself, I am not sure what she brings to the table for me that is healthy. My partner of 24 years wants me to be done with her. I know sooner or later I will receive one of her emails that will either be as though nothing happened or a rant, since I have not tried to contact her, which is unusual for me. My oldest brother who has not spoken to her in 13 years thinks I should be done with her for good. I really am considering this. It never, ever goes well with her, and I am happier without her in my life. She does not live close and has not been a part of my family's life for a long time. She also has a daughter who I love, who can handle any stress that she might be having. Any thoughts on a total no-contact would be appreciated. I am still thinking of bare minimum as Evening Rose suggested, but with my sister it seems to be all-or-nothing. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Here's my 2 cents: Your sister is not giving this any thought. Everything is fine as far as she is concerned. She will never notice or care what you do or do not do. Taking how you imagine she may feel or how you imagine your relationship with her COULD be out of the equation, ask yourself what you want to do in the situation as it is right now. What action that you do will make you the happiest, knowing nothing else is going to change. Then do that. If you find it doesn't suit your needs, you can always do something else later. With my sisters, I send the occasional text about the weather or a photo of wildlife. I send a heart emoji when they text something about their kids. We get along great this way. YMMV.