Thread: I’m back
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2023, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by Shealy View Post
I have small kids too, including a six-month old. I’ve been sober for a bit over a year and a half.

Credit to this idea goes to a lady in one of my sober mom Facebook groups, but it really helped me. You said alcohol was off the table during pregnancy. Why? Because of the known substantial risks to fetal development. By the same logic, being regularly drunk around your kids, unable to connect with them and care for them, and the instability in your relationship is also very damaging.

If ever the idea of a drink crosses my mind, I can immediately shut it down. No, absolutely not, it’s off the table, moving on.

I know it’s not that simple, but embracing the fact that you’re never going to be able to drink alcohol without harming your family is a powerful motivator.

Sending you positivity and wishing you all the best xx
This is a really good point.

out children’s brains are developing and wiring based on everything they see, hear and experience.

when we as parents are impaired in our ability to be present and be our best for them, we transfer our impairments and our emotional issues, our stress and our confusing inconsistencies directly into the wiring of their brains, their personalities and their abilities to be full and present humans.

our use of substances directly impairs our children.

that’s a fact of neuroscience, psychology and biology.

similarly, when we as parents fail to demonstrate our spiritual and emotional wellness through our words, thoughts and actions, we directly transfer spiritual and emotional sickness to our children.