Thread: 12 years
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2023, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
serious

12 years

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I still remember the day, when I seriously decided to quit.

June, 13 the day I ended up in the hospital, because I thought I would be dead if I did not.

12 years later and it's kinda crazy to think that I've been sober for longer or about just as long as I've been an alcoholic.

Am I still "in recovery"? Yeah. The devil is still there. But the distance between us is a lot greater. I did relapse here and there, especially early on, but the important thing is to get back on track.

Right now I'm just a different person, different priorities, desires and my health is really not the same. Even the thought of a cold beer is just not appealing anymore.
Can't say that I'll never drink again, but at this point alcohol doesn't have that crazy control over me.

I guess the main point is that it is possible. I was a daily drinker, who could easily down a litre of vodka and then chase it with beer. I've lost jobs, relationships, wrecked my car, got mugged and injured all due to alcohol. And still I couldn't quit.

Tried and failed many times. This forum was the place that got me to understand that I had to quit forever. After much trial and error, I somehow managed. The journey is never over, but at least now I remember most of it.

Good luck to everyone who might be early and still struggling. It's possible and it's definitely worth it.