View Single Post
Old 05-07-2023, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Leesir89

Advice on new journey

My guy, hard to say boyfriend when I feel it’s impossible to maintain a relationship with a 12 month rehab program looming over, left for rehab yesterday. My heart hurts as 12 months is a long time to be apart, but ultimately know that him going there is the best thing for him. Of course, I’m hoping it will lead to us being together in the end, but I’m trying to work on managing my expectations of a desired outcome and offering unconditional love - regardless of where we will both be in a year. My questions + need for support is from the people who have people who have experienced rehab before with a significant other, bf/gf: how do you show support, be there for someone, while simultaneously releasing attachment and desired outcomes of a situation? Is it best to go no contact and hope that one day your paths cross again or keep minimal contact while setting up boundaries to protect yourself? If you’ve had boundaries for a person you love in rehab, what are they? How do you know that they will be honest and truthful as they may find their thoughts and feelings changing toward people from their past? How do you know they are really putting in the work and excited for change? I know a lot of the focus is on him, I realize that I could change significantly in the next year as well. It just leaves a lot of uncertainty and I would love to navigate this with love and support for him, but mostly with love for myself.